Beet greens were consumed before the ancient Romans cultivated the beet root bulb and found a sweet tasting vegetable with many health benefits. Beets were used to treat fevers, digestive issues including constipation, wounds and skin problems. In 19th century, beets were used a source of sugar when sugar cane was not available. In fact, Napoleon required beets to be the main source of sugar when the British limited access to sugar cane. Today most beets are genetically modified so making sure organic beets are purchased is important. The manufacturing of beet powder is popular today and I will give you the reasons for choosing a super beets powder.
Beets Will Give You Health Benefits Like NO Other Vegetable!
- Drinking beet juice can give you an immediate reduction in blood pressure by 4-5 points with both systolic and diastolic numbers within 24 hours. This is due to the natural nitrates in beets which boost nitric oxide levels that relax the arteries and allow for more blood flow.
- May slow the progression of dementia in elderly patients and be protective of the brains of younger people. Again, this is due to the nitric oxide improving blood flow to the brain and other parts of the body where circulation and oxygen are limited.
- Beets are a source of betaine, a nutrient that protects our cells from environmental stress. Environmental stress is linked to cancer and other chronic diseases. Betaine is associated with lowering levels of inflammation in the body and C-reactive protein.
- Beets are high in nutrition. They contain high levels of vitamin C, fiber and essential minerals like potassium and manganese. Beets contain folate which is important for expectant mothers to reduce the risk of birth defects.
- Beets are fantastic for detoxification. The deep red pigment in beets helps toxins bind to them when being excreted from the body.
Beet Root Juice Powder VS Beet Root Powder
Beet root powder is made by drying whole beet roots, and then grinding them into a fine powder. Beet root juice powder is made by first extracting the juice from the beets, and then drying the juice only into a fine powder.
The advantage of beet root powder is that it is a whole food, as it contains all of the fibrous material from the beet. The advantage of beet root juice powder is that it is highly concentrated, and thus more potent.
Beet Root Powder Benefits:
- Organic beet root powders are Non-GMO
- If you are looking for the digestive health of beets, beet root powder is the way to go. Beet root powder contains all the fiber of the beet root and is a whole food source. Improving gut bacteria is a benefit of beet root powder.
- Has all the benefits of eating or juicing the whole beet, such as cardiovascular help, improved circulation, lowering of blood pressure as stated above.
Beet Root Juice Powder Benefits:
- Organic beet root juice powders are also Non-GMO
- Beet root juice powders are not a whole food, but they are super concentrated to help boost athletic endurance.
- Beet root juice powders are a standardized amount.
- Improves circulation and oxygen flow.
Knowing what you are buying will help you understand the benefits that you will get from the different types. If you are looking for the benefits of fiber, and getting the benefits of a whole food and its gut healing properties, you would look for beet root powder and not the juice powder. Make sense?
Caution With Beet Powders
Eating too many beets can color urine red and be mistaken for blood. Beetroot contains oxalates which can prevent calcium from being absorbed by your body, so if you are prone to kidney stones, you may want to talk to your doctor before eating or taking these powders every day. Beet root powder, since it is ground whole beets, may be more clumpy when mixing in juice. Better for blending juice.
Read my review of Super Beets here and please leave a comment below!