Saunas were invented in Finland and have been a way of life for over 2000 years. Suana means’Bath’ or ‘Bath House’. Heating and sweating the body was a way to keep clean in Nomadic times. Today, heating and sweating the body comes with a list of benefits to your health. Heat has a profound effect on your heart, brain and skin, and helps release heavy metal toxins from your body. Some studies have shown sweating to increase the excretion of heavy metals such as cadmium, arsenic, lead, and mercury. There are two types of saunas, wet heat and dry heat saunas. Wet heat uses water and heat to fill the room with humidity and steam. Dry heat saunas do not produce humidity but heat the room and infrared heaters penetrate your body and can heat you at lower temperatures. There are amazing health benefits of infrared sauna and if you can afford one of your own or have access to one, using it 3 times a week will give you excellent results.
Why Infrared Saunas?
The sun’s infrared rays and heat protect our body and it helps with the elimination of disease. Infrared rays are the safest rays of the sun and provide healing energy. Vitamin D is known as the sunshine vitamin because our bodies convert the sun’s rays into a usable form of vitamin D. Food is a poor source of vitamin D, so getting sunshine is critical. Far Infrared Saunas can provide many of the benefits of the sun, such as vitamin D, increased blood flow and therefore oxygen, which can really help the healing process. Far Infrared heat can penetrate up to 3 inches into the body. When warming the body at the cellular level with infrared saunas, muscles and joints can heal. Arteries and veins will also warm due to the muscle warming and an increase in circulation will benefit the whole body.
- Studies have shown that regular sauna use reduces the risk of death from any cause, including heart disease.
- Toxins are flushed from the body in a greater amount with an infrared sauna. Because the heat penetrates at the cellular level, the sweating is deeper and more profuse allowing your body to excrete more of a toxic load than with a conventional sauna.
- Can provide muscle pain relief as well as arthritis and joint pain.
- Can lower blood pressure through better circulation due to the warming and relaxation of muscles, veins and arteries.
- Cut a cold or flu off at the pass. Better circulation means higher white blood cell production that helps with strengthening your immune system to fend off invaders.
- There is some evidence to suggest that infrared sauna, because of their ability to penetrate the skin more deeply, increase metabolic rate and can help the body burn off anywhere from 200 – 600 calories in a half hour session.
- Infrared saunas are also much more comfortable than dry heat saunas. You’ll sweat more, but at lower temperatures which makes the experience more comfortable for you. Having a more comfortable experience is extremely important to those going through a healing event and can stay in the sauna for a therapeutic period of time without having to shorten the time in the sauna.
- Infrared saunas can accelerate cell death of organisms such as mold, yeast, fungus, viruses, bacteria and cancer.
How Infrared Saunas Help With Gut Health
- For leaky gut, increased circulation throughout the body via infrared heat results in improving the blood supply to the gut and the intestinal lining as well. Improved blood flow delivers essential nutrients to promote healing and repairing the intestinal lining. Improved blood supply delivers essential nutrients and promotes repair and healing of the intestinal lining.
- Chronic infections or bouts of SIBO contribute to gut permeability which results in a higher core body temperature. Infrared sauna use helps restore the body temperature to the normal operating range. With this return to a more normal operating temperature, there is a resulting improvement in immune function and the endless bouts of infection can start to ease off.
Some newer electronic saunas emit high levels of electromagnetic radiation, make sure the model you purchase has low levels like Golden Designs.
I highly recommend you purchase your own sauna, but if that’s not possible, make sure the gym or facility you are using has very strict cleaning protocols.
I love to hear from my readers, please comment below and I’ll get back to you!